[SciPy-User] assignment optimization problem

eat e.antero.tammi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 09:08:08 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there python tools for addressing problems like assignment?  At this
> point,
> I don't fully understand my problem, but I believe it is a mixture of
> discrete
> assignment together with some continuous variables.  My son suggests
> coding it
> by hand using some kind of simple hill climbing, but maybe I could leverage
> existing code for this?

FWIW, Ihave  implemented a pure python assignment solver few years back,
based on quite comprehensive book "Assignment Problems" by Rainer Burkard,
Mauro Dell'Amico, and Silvano Martello (ISBN: 978-0-898716-63-4),
http://www.assignmentproblems.com/

I can mail the code (less than 100 lines) to you, but the code is
slightly awkward, since it follows very closely the algorithm described in
the book (so you might need to have access for it).

BTW, what is typical size of your cost matrix you are aiming to handle?

Regards,
-eat