[SciPy-User] SciPy ecosystem and Python 3

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 15:04:25 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 June 2013 22:47, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Before recommending Python 3.x over 2.x I think it's important to not
>> only have the very latest release or master branch of projects support 3.x,
>> but at least 1 or 2 more versions. Reason: a lot of users (I suspect the
>> majority) will not be able to freely upgrade to the latest version of
>> projects.
>>

> I certainly wouldn't count a project as having Py3 support until there's a
> released version. But if they can't upgrade to the latest version, chances
> are that they also don't have a choice between Py2 and Py3, so our
> recommendation doesn't matter much to them. In that case, the
> recommendation is targeting the sysadmin who will be deciding what to
> install next year.

That's not quite what I meant. Even on a work pc on which I don't have
admin rights I will be able to install Anaconda or another distribution.
All the basic examples in Python and numpy/scipy docs will work. But I
don't work in a vacuum, so I'll find out at some later stage that some code
that my co-workers wrote depends on version (current minus 2) of some
package that only supports 3.x in version (current). This should be the
exception and not the norm before recommending 3.x imho.

Also, if many of the active developers haven't yet moved to 3.x (and yes
that includes me) then it's most definitely too early to recommend said
move to people who aren't very familiar with Python yet.

Cheers,
Ralf