[SciPy-User] Help optimizing an algorithm

Chris Weisiger cweisiger at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 31 12:57:10 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus at yale.edu>wrote:

> I presume you've seen this article about some of the sCMOS cameras, but if
> not:
>
> http://www.microscopy-analysis.com/files/jwiley_microscopy/2012_January_Sabharwal.pdf
>
> They mention the dual amplifier gain issues, and also point out some
> potential trouble spots (toward the end in the "unexpected findings"
> section) with the low-gain amplifier at least for the (unidentified) camera
> they used. Worth knowing about...

I hadn't seen that; shame on me for not doing my due-diligence. However,
their plots look significantly worse than ours do, even if they're
cherry-picking bad pixels. For comparison, here's our 7 worst (most
nonlinear) pixels:
http://derakon.dyndns.org/~chriswei/temp2/badPixels.png

And here's our sensor-wide average low-end nonlinearity (note that camera
baseline is 100 counts):
http://derakon.dyndns.org/~chriswei/temp2/lowEndToe.png

I don't have a plot of the least-linear low-end pixels handy.

Thanks again for the help! map_coordinates is a confusing function, but I
have confidence I'll sort it out sooner or later.

-Chris