[SciPy-User] Problem with 64 bit Scipy Stats: cannot install MKL

Sharath Venkatesha sharath20284 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 18:38:04 EST 2013

hello,

I am using Christopher Gohlke's builds for 64 bit machines.

My version is Python 2.7, Scipy 0.11.0 and Numpy 1.7.0 (non MKL version) on 64bit Win7 machine.

When using

from scipy.stats import norm

I get an error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py", line 321, in <module>
    from stats import *
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\stats.py", line 193, in <module>
    import scipy.special as special
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\__init__.py", line 525, in <module>
    from _cephes import *

I looked online for solutions that Chris has posted. Most of them included using the MKL version of numpy. I installed the MKL version of numpy (without Intel MKL installation) and still get the same error, which is expected!

I cannot install Intel MKL on my machine due to the costs involved.

Please suggest if there is a workaround.

thanks
Sharath