[SciPy-User] sqrtm is too slow for matrices of size 1000

Vivek Kulkarni viveksck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 11:42:25 EDT 2013

Hi,
I am implementing spectral clustering for my course work and am using the
sqrtm function to find the square root of a matrix . But its far too slow,
my matrix is of size (1258,1258). Any suggestions on how I can speed things
up or some other function that scipy supports which can be used.

I am implementing the algorithm as described here:
http://books.nips.cc/papers/files/nips14/AA35.pdf

Finding the square root of D^(-1) is way too slow for D^-1 of size
(1258,1258).

Thanks.
Vivek.