[SciPy-User] Speeding things up - how to use more than one computer core

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Apr 7 08:31:37 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 02:11:07PM +0200, Troels Emtekær Linnet wrote:
> Why is joblib so slow?

I am not sure why joblib is slower than multiprocessing: it uses the same
core mechanism.

Anyhow, I think that your benchmark is not very interesting for practicle
use: it measures mostly the time it takes to create and spawn workers.
The problem in your benchmark is that the individual operations that you
are trying to run in parallel take virtually no time. You need to
dispatch long-running operations, otherwise the overhead of
parallelisation will kill any possible gain.