[SciPy-User] SciPy-User Digest, Vol 109, Issue 58

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:06:26 EDT 2012

On 24 September 2012 15:57, Robaula <helmrp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'll be seriously discouraged if to start getting results after installing SciPy orPyLab, I next have to install A. But to install A, I first have to install B. Then I next have to install C, and then D, etc.

Well, that is the sort of thing we're aiming to improve. But equally,
we can't know everything you're going to want to use, so depending on
what you want to do, you might still have to install one or more extra
packages.

> And I don't want to learn or use Linux along the way.

Ironically, this is precisely what Linux distributions do very well:
dependency management. So when I ask it to install A, it works out
that B, C and D are needed, downloads and installs them in the right
order. Package management systems like APT are miles ahead of the
Python packaging stuff.

Thomas