[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 08:35:53 EDT 2012

I've put a draft version of the specification up here:
https://github.com/pylab/website/blob/master/specification.rst

It's still based on the slide Fernando posted. A couple of packages
are in active discussion:

- The IPython notebook has prompted a lot of debate. If you haven't
yet voted, please do so: http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/567610
- The author of h5py has offered it for inclusion, but no-one else has
spoken up for or against it. I'd like to hear from users of both that
and PyTables (another interface to HDF5 files).

If there are any other packages you think are important enough to be
in the standard, or you feel that some of those currently included
should not be, now is the time to speak up.

We also still need to pick sensible minimum versions of SymPy, pandas,
statsmodels, scikits-learn, scikits-image, PyTables and NetworkX. As a
rough guide, if you were writing code to post on a blog, what version
can you assume most readers should have? I'm thinking of desktop
installations, not servers, so we needn't be too conservative.

Thanks,
Thomas