[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 19:04:30 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> main failure of pip: no installation of binaries
>>
>> easy_install xxx
>> is still my favorite (on Windows) except when it doesn't find any
>> compatible binaries.
>
> Apparently this is a legitimately horrible technical issue, because it
> turns out that you and I can have two builds of the exact same version
> of Python on the exact same version of Windows and yet they will not
> be ABI compatible. (E.g., for version <3.3, you can choose different
> widths for the unicode type at compile time.)

I've never seen problems with different python version types, nor
heard of different unicode widths on Windows.

examples:
pandas is compiled against numpy 1.6 and is ABI incompatible with numpy 1.5
I never managed to install a sklearn binary and I don't know which
numpy they are built against.
cvxopt build script requires python 2.7, and the Gohlke binaries
require the mkl build of numpy.

but most of the time it just works, especially when I'm not using an
outdated python 2.5 or 2.6 and numpy 1.5.

Josef