[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 16:57:11 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Warning: what follows is a highly opinionated, completely biased post.
>  I'll be using a 'we' that refers to the IPython developers because
> the credit for much of what I talk about goes to the whole team, but
> ultimately the rant is my responsibility, so flame me if need be.
>
> self.put_hat(kind='IPython').
>
> I think it's important to address directly the question of the IPython
> notebook.  I realize that not everybody uses it, and it has some extra
> dependencies (though they are really easy ones to satisfy).  But I
> also think it's an important discussion that goes to the question of
> whether we simply are trying to play catch-up what matlab/R-Rstudio
> offer, or to be truly forward-looking and rethink how scientific
> computing will be done for the coming decade.  Needless to say, I have
> little interest in the former and am putting all my energy into the
> latter: if it were otherwise, I'd been contributing to Octave for the
> last 10 years instead.
>
> My argument, in short: we should consider *some* notebook-type tool as
> a first-class citizen of this effort, for the simple reason that such
> an approach is one whose time has come.  A notebook environment is the
> only tool that truly tackles in an integrated manner the problem that
> we've been referring to as the 'lifecycle of a scientific idea'
> (https://speakerdeck.com/u/fperez/p/ipython-tools-for-the-lifecycle-of-research-computing?slide=3).
>
> Context: all disciplines are becoming intensely computational, the
> need for real-time collaboration on live computational analysis is
> great, the pressures for moving towards truly reusable, reproducible
> work are coming from multiple angles (major journals, funding
> agencies, ...), we need a much smoother transition between analysis
> codes and publications, and we need better ways to share our analysis
> work over the internet, for education and for archival purposes.
> Having a good IDE is a really important point, and my hat is off to
> the stellar work the Spyder team has done (and coincidentally, another
> Colombian physicist, Carlos Córdoba, is leading the charge on the
> spyder/ipython integration work) .  But to be blunt, a matlab-style
> IDE does not tackle the important questions above in any meaningful
> way.
>
> In the last decade's worth of the pylab world (using our new moniker
> in its intended fashion), we've certainly taken inspiration from the
> major systems out there, but it has always been that: *inspiration*,
> never simple copying:
>
> - John Hunter's brilliance with matplotlib was not so much to copy the
> high-level API and look/feel of plot windows to ease the transition
> from matlab.  It was to rethink the question of what a plotting
> library should be, abstracting over GUI toolkits and an elegant OO
> architecture underneath the familiar scripting interface.
>
> - Numpy's arrays are similar to matlab/fortran ones, obviously, but
> [...]

No argument from me. I just spend a day getting notebooks into the
statsmodels documentation and trying to improve our html repr
rendering.

notebooks are a great way of getting rendered and commented code and
all of the many previous attempts where half baked.

That's for the teaching side, I don't know much about the future of
collaborative, parallel, cloud, ... interpreters.  (Anaconda seems to
have it built in.)

(even if my development environment is spyder and eclipse.)

Josef