[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Thu Sep 20 11:22:00 EDT 2012

On Sep 19, 2012, at 4:44 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:
>
> On Sep 19, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
>
> > On 19 September 2012 20:24, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'd propose numpy >= 1.5.1, scipy >= 0.10.0, matplotlib >= 1.1.
> >
> > Thanks Ralf, those all sound like sensible requirements.
> >

> I had been thinking that pylab would be a specification of specific versions of the packages, but this makes sense as well where a pylab specification is a range of release numbers for packages.
>
> A set of specific versions sounds nice in theory (for reproducible research), but then there's no distribution to install that particular set. So the only benefit I see is that you could easily specify all package versions in your own stack. Am I missing something?

On Linux it would *just* work as there would be a meta-package with the same name that would download and install dependencies.   On other platforms, I would assume that certain Pylab versions would be available from the various vendors.

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg, but in this case I know if we define the standard, there will be distributions that emerge (they are there already but each marching to their own drum --- this provides some cadence and input from a larger community).

-Travis