[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

David Baddeley david_baddeley at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 18 19:02:32 EDT 2012

I guess the current main 'Pylab compatible' distributions are EPD and Python(x,y). It might make sense to base the standard around their core components. I'd definitely include Cython in the core package list, and would consider specifying that a c- compiler should be bundled on platforms which don't provide one (ie windows), and that Python (and numpy) headers be provided so that the distribution is build-ready (especially as both easy_install and pip install from source rather than downloading compiled packages).  I'd suggest making any specification of IDE packages relatively loose and say that they should be there, but leave the choice of package to the implementer, eg:

"A Pylab distribution should include:
- A GUI framework which is compatible with Matplotlib (e.g. wx or Qt - I think it makes sense to push people towards these 2 frameworks rather than, e.g. GTK or Tk)
- An editor which supports python syntax highlighting and ideally treats tab as 4 spaces (a minimalist install might fall back on IDLE)
- An interactive shell  (e.g. IPython)"