[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Thu Sep 6 10:10:46 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 10:12 +0100, Andrew Jaffe wrote:
> On 05/09/2012 17:27, Jason Grout wrote:
> >
> > What about just expanding the SciPy name brand?  SciPy captures the
> > essence, I think---a scientific python software suite.  It's easy to say
> > and already has a lot of name recognition (though that also might be a
> > negative).
> >
> > Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Other than that, pylab is my
> > favorite, for what it's worth.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason
> >

> +1 -- It seems obviously the most appropriate name. I don't think it
> would be any more confusing to the community than re-purposing "pylab".
> But of course it does raise the question of what to call the current
> "scipy" in that case.

SciPy is good, though to be honest, whoever creates the actual project I
personally think might as well pick the name :).
I would love to see this:
Create a documentation website that includes an overview and the
documentation for all _mature_ packages that are used commonly, such
that I can search through all of these documentations in a reasonable
way, and know the result is not some half finished alpha code.
Thus it would allow me to search "support vector machine" and I would
get sklearn and maybe one or two other results packages.
As a place for this, a prominent subdomain of scipy.org seems very good,
I would suggest planet.scipy.org if it didn't exist already :), but
again, setting this up is the point, the name I _really_ think is
secondary... (There already are distributions, and you won't have one
big namespace anyways, so this "name" is mostly a website like this plus
maybe tutorials)

If the individual packages then advertise with something like "Part of
the SciPy Effort" and link to scipy.org that should already be enough.