[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 05:34:15 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Andrew Jaffe <a.h.jaffe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/2012 17:27, Jason Grout wrote:
>>
>> What about just expanding the SciPy name brand?  SciPy captures the
>> essence, I think---a scientific python software suite.  It's easy to say
>> and already has a lot of name recognition (though that also might be a
>> negative).
>>
>> Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Other than that, pylab is my
>> favorite, for what it's worth.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason
>>

> +1 -- It seems obviously the most appropriate name. I don't think it
> would be any more confusing to the community than re-purposing "pylab".
> But of course it does raise the question of what to call the current
> "scipy" in that case.

For what it's worth, "SciPy" already *is* repurposed to refer to the
broader project of encouraging Python in the sciences. The fact that
no one knows this anymore should tell you exactly how well it's worked
out. For example:

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2009-August/012475.html

--
Robert Kern