[SciPy-User] Scipy stack: standard packages (poll)

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 18:09:11 EDT 2012

On 3 October 2012 22:06, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu> wrote:
> it was mentioned before: none of the suggested packages can read or
> write image files on their own, except for matplotlib's built-in PNG
> support. Matplotlib, Scipy and skimage depend on other, optional
> packages or binaries for image I/O: PIL, FreeImage, GDAL, PyQt.

If we include scikits-image (which looks unlikely based on the current
poll results), we had agreed to specify FreeImage, or possibly one of
FreeImage and PIL.

Matplotlib will need at least one backend installed, and the
documentation says "Most backends support png, pdf, ps, eps and svg."
That seems adequate. For saving images, there's less need to require a
range of formats than if loading them is a key feature.

Thomas