[SciPy-User] NumPy Binomial BTPE method Problem

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:59:05 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Josh Lawrence <josh.k.lawrence at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I received access to the paper and it seems it was originally based
>> purely on the paper written by Kachitvichyanukul in 1988. I still
>> think there's a whoopsies with the if ... else if ... else, block
>> though.
>
> the c code "else" looks strange to me,
> however, checking a few cases with large p*n for a large sample (1
> million draws), I don't see any difference of the frequency count to
> the theoretical distribution from scipy.binom.

I'm pretty sure you are right.
(If my reading as non c programmer is correct)
The else block means that Step 50 is never used, instead it uses Step
52, which uses a different approximation that is intended for the
tails.
If Step 52 is relatively close to the result of Step 50, then it will
not be very visible in the final results.
>From my reading of the code there should be a small distortion around the mean.

Josef