[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] Pylab - standard packages

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 07:09:12 EDT 2012

Hi Will,

On 2 October 2012 09:49, Will Furnass <will at thearete.co.uk> wrote:
> A point that I don't think has been mentioned so far (correct me if I'm
> wrong) is whether devising a Scipy standard with recommended/minimum
> package versions will hinder (or expedite) the transition to Python 3.x.
> If one package e.g. matplotlib is still Python 2.x only then that would
> keep the standard 2.7 but may add momentum the development of a 3.x
> version of that package.  More generally, is there any interest in a 3.x
> Scipy standard, either now or in the next couple of years?

At present, I've put in the standard that 2.x >= 2.6 or 3.x >= 3.2 is
valid. Of the current selection of packages, there are three that
aren't yet released on Python 3:
- matplotlib: coming very soon
- SymPy: I think the work is done, but it has yet to be released.
Hopefully coming soon (https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1507 )
- Pytables: Still a work in progress, but it *is* being worked on.

For now, I think we should steer newcomers towards Python 2, but I
don't want the standard to preclude making Python 3 distributions once
the necessary packages are there. Pyzo, Almar's distribution, is based
on Python 3.

Thanks,
Thomas