[SciPy-User] faster expm

Alex Leach - Gmail beamesleach at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 18:19:45 EST 2012

Great news guys. The Expokit author, Professor Roger Sidje, is perfectly happy
for Expokit to be used in SciPy. He just likes to keep a tab on things, for
appraisals and such like.

His full response, and my original message, is below:-

Alex,

Thanks for your interest.

Please note that the wording of the license is merely a way to keep
track of where it is used rather than an attempt to restrict its
usage.

The license is simple -- any other open/closed source can use the
software any way they want.

All the license does is to allow me to know/have a bullet point in
those end-of-year activity reports for the powers that be, telling
that the software is found useful.

I have had similar requests in the past re:GPL. All I say is, feel
free to use/modify the software any way you want. This e-mail of yours
is exactly the kind of expression-of-interest indicated (even for use
in a commercial setting).

Because I have moved from UQ (in Australia) to UA (in the USA), making
changes to Expokit won't be convenient for a while. Please consider
this response as a plain acknowledgment that Expokit can be
embedded/released under GPL. You can add the following in the meantime:

"Alternatively, EXPOKIT may be used under the terms of the GPL."

By so doing, it would mean that you have chosen to branch on the
GPL-alternative, while allowing others to do what they want on the
other alternatives (and it is understood that, per GPL, if someone
ever gets the GPL alternative or its derivatives, they will abide by
GPL).

In particular, possible future versions of Expokit not derived from
your copy will remain free to be licensed any way (which is an option
that commercial packages want -- even though they use EXPOKIT without
royalties).

Thanks
---
RBS