[SciPy-User] special: the missing documentation

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 15:24:03 EDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> 03.11.2012 20:04, josef.pktd at gmail.com kirjoitti:
>> I_{|n|} in  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Mises_distribution#Moments

>> 11.301921952136331
>
> If I understand what you are getting at:
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.special.ivp.html

yes, that's what I used:
find a likely sounding function in the list in the documentation
then try to figure out what the "cryptic" docstring means

I get confused because there are so many bessel functions, and I have
not much of an idea about them.
And I knew that i1 is the derivative of i0, but non of the other relationships.

(wikipedia has a link to the handbook,
http://people.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_376.htm that I checked now.
But it has too many different variable names and not enough english.)

But it's very useful to find most of the special functions readily
available in scipy.
The moments of the Von Mises distribution are just some ``special`` calls.

(aside: When I get the next scipy release, I will try to find out what
a complex normal distribution looks like.)

Thanks,

Josef