[SciPy-User] Contributing to SciPy was Re: Least-squares fittings with bounds: why is scipy not up to the task?

David Warde-Farley wardefar at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Mar 14 10:17:55 EDT 2012

On 2012-03-14, at 6:12 AM, Scott Sinclair wrote:

> Sure they're interesting, I'm not proposing to throw anything away
> (lot's of people have contributed their time to produce the recipes).
>
> I still think that recipes which tell me how to do task X, with
> package Y are better hosted in the documentation/online resources of
> package Y. Recipes that solve a specific problem primarily using
> Numpy/Scipy, but that might also use Matplotlib/MayaVi/Chaco/? for
> plotting or cython/f2py/SWIG to speed up or wrap compiled code feel
> like they have a better fit.

I agree, certain sorts of recipes are a better fit than others. However, it would be nice if we had some clear and simple guidelines as to what belongs and what doesn't rather than making it a matter of subjective judgment; otherwise the only fair way forward seems to be accepting almost everything.

David