[SciPy-User] Generalized least square on large dataset

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 00:36:35 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Peter Cimermančič
<peter.cimermancic at gmail.com> wrote:
> To describe my problem into more details, I have a list of ~1000 bacterial
> genome lengths and number of certain genes for each one of them. I'd like to
> see if there is any correlation between genome lengths and number of the
> genes. It may look like an easy linear regression problem; however, one has
> to be a bit more careful as the measurements aren't sampled independently.
> Bacteria, whose genomes are similar, tend to also contain similar number of
> the genes. Bacterial similarity is what is described with matrix V - it
> contains similarity values for each pair of bacteria, ranging from 0 to 1.
>
> Anybody encountered similar problem already?

The closest I can think of is spatial econometrics where V is the
spatial similarity
http://pysal.geodacenter.org/1.3/library/spreg/ols.html
But I never looked at the details of the spatial specification, and I
don't know pysal covers this case.

(The V is also similar to the correlation in Gaussian Processes, but
they do only local estimation as far as I have looked at it.)

(I have only vague ideas about this case, If you have the
distances/similarity, then you need to estimate the correlation as a
function of the similarity. If the correlation matrix is not
invertible, then it should be possible to just use the generalized
inverse, pinv, of V. 1000x1000 doesn't sound too big to pinv or to use
an svd. But I don't see any reason that the covariance matrix should
be singular.)

But as Chuck said, OLS would still be a consistent estimator, but for
standard errors a correction will be necessary. (If it's not in pysal,
then it might not be trivial to work out the correction of the
standard error.)

interesting problem

Josef
(...) == maybe on topic