[SciPy-User] specifying range in scipy.stats.truncnorm

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 23:05:02 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Joon Ro <joonpyro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri 27 Jul 2012 01:39:50 PM CDT, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

>>> I just took a look at the code, and I agree.
>>>
>>> I wonder if it would be possible to add a couple of more parameters (in
>>> this case, representing the not-standardized interval) with default
>>> None to the generic rv_continuous class and when they are passed
>>> instead of a and b, let a distribution specific function do the
>>> standardization and calculate a and b.
>>
>> a,b are set and would have to be adjusted in _argcheck.
>> _argcheck is currently called only with the shape parameters, but not
>> with loc and scale as argument. It would be possible to adjust this.
>> My guess is that having _argcheck compensate for loc and scale should
>> work. Having a possible change in behavior and extra parameters might
>> get confusing. (distributions are instances and not classes, so care
>> needs to be taken that there are no unwanted spillovers from one use
>> to the next.)
>>
>> If you use frozen distributions, as in your initial example, then
>> doing the reparameterization in the frozen class might be easier, then
>> in the original classes.
>>

> I also think changing what a and b represent is the best way but I
> wonder if it is okay (for compatibility reasons)

Not for the distribution classes, we need a and b for the
standard(ized) distributions.

Take for example lognorm, a=0 ind the standard case (loc=0, scale=1),
and the lower bound of the shifted distribution is loc.
Or pareto, a=1, lower bound of shifted distribution is loc+1

There is no separate way to choose a different lower bound, loc is the
relevant parameter not a.

Very few distribution, like the truncated distributions, have a and b
explicitly as parameters.

Josef