[SciPy-User] scipy interpolate.interp1d spline slowness

Wolfgang Kerzendorf wkerzendorf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 17:08:26 EST 2012

Hello Scipyers,

I've just stumbled across a problem with interpolate.interp1d:
-------------
import numpy as np
from scipy import interpolate
x = arange(1000)
y =  y = np.random.random_integers(0, 900, 1000)

%timeit interp = interpolate.interp1d(x, y, kind='cubic')
1 loops, best of 3: 3.63 s per loop
#the call for the interpolation is really quick afterwards (a couple ms)

tck = interpolate.splrep(x, y, s=0)
%timeit interpolate.splev(x_new, tck, der=0)
100 loops, best of 3: 5.51 ms per loop

------
I do understand that these are different spline interpolations (but that's as far as my knowledge goes). I was just annoyed at the person saying: Ah, you see python is slow - which it is not as shown by the second scipy command.

Would it be possible to switch the spline interpolator used in interpolate.interp1d to the B-Splines, or to give an option to switch between different spline interpolators (maybe with a warning: slow).

Ah - a last question: Why don't you  use the issues tab on the github page?

Thanks in advance,
   Wolfgang