[SciPy-User] scipy.stats convolution of two distributions

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:36:30 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM, nicky van foreest <vanforeest at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In one of my projects I built some code that depends in a nice and
>> generic way on the methods of rv_continuous in scipy.stats. Now it
>> turns out that I shot myself in the foot because I need to run a test
>> with the sum (convolution) of three such distributions. As far as I
>> can see there is no standard way to achieve this in scipy.stats. Does
>> anybody know of a good (generic) way to do this? If not, would it
>> actually be useful to add such functionality to scipy.stats, if
>> possible at all?
>>
>> After some struggling I wrote the code below, but this is a first
>> attempt. I am very interested in obtaining feedback to turn this into
>> something that is useful for a larger population than just me.
>
> Sounds fun.
>
> The plots are a bit misleading, because matplotlib is doing the
> interpolation for you
>
> pl.plot(grid,D1.cdf(grid), '.')
> pl.plot(grid,conv.cdf(grid), '.')
> pl.plot(grid,conv2.cdf(grid), '.')
>
> The main problem is the mixing of continuous distribution and discrete
> grid. pdf, cdf, .... want to evaluate at a point and with floating
> points it's perilous (as we discussed before).
>
> As I read it, neither your cdf nor pdf return specific points.
>
> I think the easiest would be to work with linear interpolation
> interp1d on a fine grid, but I never checked how fast this is for a
> fine grid.
> If cdf and pdf are defined with a piecewise polynomial, then they can
> be evaluated at any points and the generic class, rv_continuous,
> should be able to handle everything.
> The alternative would be to work with the finite grid and use the
> fixed spacing to define a lattice distribution, but that doesn't exist
> in scipy.
>
> I haven't thought about the convolution itself yet, (an alternative
> would be using fft to work with the characteristic function.)
>
> If you use this for a test, how much do you care about having accurate
> tails, or is effectively truncating the distribution ok?

The other question I thought about in a similar situation is, what is
the usage or access pattern.

For many cases, I'm not really interested in evaluating the pdf at
specific points, but over a range or interval of points. In this case
relying on floating point access doesn't look like the best way to go,
and I spend more time on the `expect` method. Calculating expectation
of a function w.r.t the distribution that can use the internal
representation instead of the generic integrate.quad.

Josef