[SciPy-User] Arbitrary max-intensity projection

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 17:21:21 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 16:01, Chris Weisiger <cweisiger at msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> VTK seems to be difficult to build for Python -- I should have
> mentioned that this needs to integrate into an existing Python program
> that's already been written, so a standalone app doesn't really meet
> my needs. The goal is to extend the functionality of a program that my
> users use to examine their data, not to solve a one-off problem. I've
> downloaded VTK's source and tried to build it, but I'm getting link
> errors right now, so this could be a rather hairy procedure all told.
>
> mayavi appears to be limited to source builds or the paid Enthought
> distribution? If I want to build it myself, I need...VTK. :)

Enthought employee here.

EPD is free for academic users, which I assume you are one given your
email address.

  http://www.enthought.com/products/edudownload.php

If you are on Windows, you may try Christopher Gohlke's binaries:

  http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Or Python(x,y):

  http://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/wiki/Welcome

> So in other words, my options currently appear to be, in no particular order,
> 1) Roll my own
> 2) Figure out how to build VTK with Python, at which point the problem is simple
> 3) Build VTK without Python, then figure out how to build mayavi
> against that VTK, with Python, at which point the problem is simple

No, Mayavi uses the Python bindings that come with VTK. It does not
build separate Python bindings to VTK.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."