[SciPy-User] Image Enhancing in Python

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 06:46:29 EDT 2011

Dear All,
I hope this is not too off topic.
I saw some wikis about Python and image analysis. What I am trying to
do should not be too difficult, but I am unsure about how to proceed.
It is my understanding that a color image (RGB), for Python (and not
only) is nothing else that a combination of 3 different 2D arrays.
What I would like to do is the following: take this color image, turn
it into a grayscale image (and this is the easy bit) with the
exception of the red color (which should be preserved).
The final image should therefore be grayscale and red. I suppose I
will have to do some thresholding by hand to select which red shades I
want to keep, but I am unsure about how to proceed.
Any suggestion is welcome.
Cheers

Lorenzo