[SciPy-User] Problems installing scipy 0.10.0 using a local installation of numpy 1.6.1

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 16:31:45 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM, David Pitchford <pitch006 at umn.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to install scipy on a lab computer for research at my
> university. I do not have root access to these machines, so when I need to
> install new python modules I usually install them locally to a folder I have
> control over (using python setup.py build), then add it to my PYTHONPATH
> variable. I got numpy 1.6.1 working this way, but when I try to install
> scipy 0.10.0 with my PYTHONPATH variable pointing to
> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.6/ (relative to the top-level directory numpy is
> in, numpy-1.6.1),

This may sometimes work, but this is not the right way to do it: you
need to install the packages. It is possible to install packages
inside your home directory: if you use the --user option, you don't
even have to set up anything, python will automatically look there:

python setup.py install --user

cheers,

David