[SciPy-User] MODIS data and true-color plotting

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 14:40:18 EST 2011

Hello groups,

I have two questions about working with MODIS data.

1-) Is there any light Pythonic HDF-EOS wrapper to handle HDF-EOS data
other than PyNIO [http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Nio.shtml] Although, I have
managed to install that package from its source, it took me many hours to
figure out all the installation quirks. Something simpler to build and
mainly for HDFEOS data??

2-) Another similar question: Has anybody attempted to create true-color
MODIS images (like the ones shown at [
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/]) in Python? So far, I have
seen one clear tutorial [ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/IMAPP/MODIS/TrueColor/]
to create natural color images, but uses ms2gt [
http://nsidc.org/data/modis/ms2gt/], NDVI and IDL. Except the reflectance
correction via NDVI, ms2gt and IDL parts seem to be implemented in Python.

Till now, I have some progress combining GOES imagery with aircraft data.
My next task is to combine MODIS data with aircraft and radar data. I would
be happy to get some guidance and code support if there is any previous
work been done using Python.

Thanks.