[SciPy-User] variable smoothing kernel

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat Mar 26 14:45:49 EDT 2011

On 3/26/11 5:52 AM, Wolfgang Kerzendorf wrote:
> I'm interested in having a gaussian smoothing where the kernel depends
> (linearly in this case) on the index where it is operating on. I
> implemented it myself (badly probably) and it takes for ever, compared
> to the gaussian smoothing with a fixed kernel in ndimage.

I don't know of any code that does this out of the box.

If you post you code here, folks may be able suggest ways to improve the
performance.

There is a limit to how fast you can do this with pure python, if you
want do better than that, give Cython a try -- this would be pretty easy
to write with Cython:

http://wiki.cython.org/tutorials/numpy

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov