[SciPy-User] technical question: normed exponential fit for data?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:35:49 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Daniel Mader
<danielstefanmader at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Hmm. I certainly wouldn't have come to that conclusion looking at the
>> data. At least for #0 (high concentration?), the linear fit is
>> substantially better.
>
> yes, of course, there is always a better fit possible, no doubt. When
> I perform a fit for only a single data series, I can optimize both c0
> and c1 in the equation:
>  f(x) = c[0] * scipy.exp(c[1]*x)

what I would do use loglinear specification, the error looks
increasing for larger counts. use a factor encoding for the
concentration that allows for different intercepts, constrain c[1] to
be the same for all observations.

log(f(x)) = c0 * dL + c1*dM + c2*dH + c3*x

dL, dM, dH are dummy variables, that are 1 if the observation has L
(or M or H) concentration and 0 for the other concentration.

run a linear regression on this, and run some tests to see whether the
assumptions look ok.

Josef