[SciPy-User] OT warning! Re: ANN: Spyder v2.0.8

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:53:29 EST 2011

On 03-03-2011 23:39, Christopher Barker wrote:
> On 3/3/11 12:51 PM, Alan G Isaac wrote:
>> On 3/3/2011 2:31 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
>>> four spaces is a well established standard
>> ... for the standard library.  Individual projects
>> set their own standards.
> OK -- PEP 8 is only _official_ for the standard library, but if you
> define "standard" as "the way most people do it", then four spaces is it.
>
>>  (Unfortunately, PEP 8 came
>> down on the wrong side of tabs vs. spaces.)
> clearly debatable, but my point is that it is a good idea for all
> projects to use the same conventions, and the ONLY one that makes any
> sense at this point in that context is four spaces.
Using a standard might be a good idea,
but the standard is depending on the environment.
Is Python the environment or the set of actually used tools.
For me and the people around me,
the programs we make, are the environment.
We use PHP, Delphi, C, JAL, JS, Matlab, Labview, ....
and in all these languages me and my environment uses 2 spaces.
So the standard for Python is also 2 spaces.

Secondly, the libraries and programs that we put in the open source community,
by who will they be (probably) changed and maintained?
So it seems to me perfectly legal to  use 2 spaces as thé standard.

cheers,
Stef Mientki