[SciPy-User] ANN: Visvis version 1.5 - The object oriented approach to visualization

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:40:17 EDT 2011

Hi all,

On behalf of the visvis development team, I'm pleased to announce the latest
release of visvis! We have a new backend, we've done improvements to the
Mesh class, we've done a lot of work on the cameras, and we've got a
fun flight-sim
style camera <http://code.google.com/p/visvis/wiki/example_meshes>. And much
more...

website: http://code.google.com/p/visvis/
Discussion group: http://groups.google.com/group/visvis/
Documentation: http://code.google.com/p/visvis/wiki/Visvis_basics
Release notes: http://code.google.com/p/visvis/wiki/releaseNotes

What is visvis?
---------------
Visvis is a pure Python library for visualization of 1D to 4D data in an
object oriented way. Essentially, visvis is an object oriented layer of
Python on top of OpenGl, thereby combining the power of OpenGl with the
usability of Python. A Matlab-like interface in the form of a set of
functions allows easy creation of objects (e.g. plot(), imshow(), volshow(),
surf()).

Visvis with Reinteract
----------------------
Robert Schroll has been working to enable using visvis in
interact:http://www.reinteract.org/trac/<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.reinteract.org/trac/>.
See this discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/visvis/browse_thread/thread/bfe129a265453140

Most notable changes
--------------------
  * Visvis now also has a GTK backend.
  * The cameras are now more explicitly exposed to the user, making it
easier for the user to set a new camera, for example to use a single camera
for multiple axes.
  * Reimplemented the FlyCamera so it is much easier to control. Some gaming
experience will still help though :) see the meshes
example<http://code.google.com/p/visvis/wiki/example_meshes>for a
movie.
  * The 3D camera now also has a perspective view. Use shift+RMB to
interactively change the field of view.
  * A mesh() convenience funcion was added. The signature of the Mesh class
was changed to make it more intuitive. The old signature if still supported
but may be removed in future versions.
  * Visvis now has a settings object, which can be used to change
user-specific defaults, such as the preferred backend and the size of new
figures.
  * 3D color data can now be rendered.
  * Implemented volshow2(), which displays a volume using three 2D slices,
which can be moved interactively through the volume. Visvis automatically
falls back to this way of visualization if 3D volume rendering is not
possible on the client hardware.

(see release notes <http://code.google.com/p/visvis/wiki/releaseNotes> for a
more detailed list)

Regards,