[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] fmin error surface

mdekauwe mdekauwe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 17:07:25 EST 2011

Hi,

Apologises I will use the incorrect technical terminology here...

So I was playing around with the scipy simplex (fmin) and I didn't seem to
be able to see any option to return the value evaluated by whichever cost
function you choose. I see you can return all the minimised iterations, but
I quite like plotting (x, y) minimised value against cost to visualise the
error surface. The only way I can see you can do it is by editing
optimize.py and adding

if retall:
        allvecs = [sim[0]]
        cost = [fsim[0]]

if retall:
            allvecs.append(sim[0])
            cost.append(fsim[0])

if full_output:
        retlist = x, fval, iterations, fcalls[0], warnflag
        if retall:
            retlist += (allvecs, cost)

I think it would be a useful thing to have returned? Or perhaps not?

thanks,

Martin