[SciPy-User] KDE: Scott's factor reference?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Thu Jan 6 10:29:14 EST 2011

Hi all,

I've been wading through the old literature on gaussian KDE for a
little while trying to find a reference for the "Scott's factor" rule-
of-thumb for gaussian KDE bandwidth selection (n**(-1/(d+4)), where n
is the number of data points and d their dimension; this factor is
multiplied by the covariance matrix to yield the bandwidths).

I can find a lot of Scott's later contributions of fancier methods,
but nothing about this basic one...

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks,
Zach