[SciPy-User] OT: calling Java from Python

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 4 12:26:11 EST 2011

> On 12/23/2010 12:49 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
>> Are there any active projects supporting calling Java from CPython?

I found a bit more on my own, plus got some helpful replies, so here's a
summary:

On 12/23/10 1:00 PM, Christoph Gohlke wrote:
> CellProfiler<http://www.cellprofiler.org/>  calls Java libraries
> (bioformats, ImageJ) via JNI. Take a look at
> <https://svn.broadinstitute.org/CellProfiler/trunk/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/utilities/javabridge.pyx>.

That does look like a good starting point -- it kind of looks like
javabridge is its own project, but couldn't find independent references
to it. But certainly a good place to start. if I wanted to do that sort
of thing.

GNU CNI:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/About-CNI.html#About-CNI

This looks like a good way to call JAVA from C++, and therefore would be
pretty easy to leverage for calling JAVA from Cython, for example.

It would also provide the advantage of not having to have it rely on a
particular JVM being installed -- you could deliver the gcj runtime
along with your binaries.

On 12/23/10 2:00 PM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

 > JCC 2.7: a C++ code generator for calling Java from C++/Python
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/JCC/2.7

Ah -- very nice -- I should have thought to search Pypi directly!

That does look to be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov