[SciPy-User] OT: Literature management, pdf downloader

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 12:06:00 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 01:25:45PM +0100, John wrote:
> > searching, I rely on the webofscience or ISI searches.
>
> > 1) ISI search for articles, add to 'marked list'
>
> Continuing with off topic, but in my experience google scholar works much
> better than ISI, it is accessible freely, can link to preprints, and if
> you adjust your preferences, will give you the bibtex files.

In my experience scopus.com gives more refined results compared to both
gscholar and ISI provided you have access the site. You can do author
based queries (e.g. list an authors published papers) which I find very
useful to access someone's publication history. For a few atmospheric
sciences related specific key term searches, scopus gives broader
publication coverage comparing to the gscholar and ISI. They have provided
an API for programmatic queries but not sure about their publication access
procedure. I register into their search update service (where I get updates
when their database is updated for my saved searches --gscholar and ISI have
similar services but again scopus provides better results and allows more
refinement in searches) and manually download the articles that I am
interested in.

--
Gökhan