[SciPy-User] eigenvalues of a symmetric tridiagonal matrix

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Wed Feb 23 09:02:31 EST 2011

Hi,

does anybody know about a Python code for computing some (e.g. the
smallest) eigenvalues of a symmetric tridiagonal matrix?

I can reasonably get what I need using scipy.linalg.eigvals_banded(), but
wonder if there is something even more efficient.

In lapack, there are sstebz, dstebz functions, but they seem not to be
wrapped in scipy - the following returns nothing:

import scipy.lib.lapack as ll
ll.get_lapack_funcs(['stebz'])

Also, does anyone have experience with [1]?

Thanks,
r.

[1] http://kochanski.org/gpk/misc/PyLapack.html