[SciPy-User] build from source on RHEL6

Gavin W. Burris bug at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 22 17:18:22 EST 2011

Hi Ralf,

I think it would be very hard for anyone but a professional programmer
to build scipy with the current directions.  It was a very time
consuming.  Since ATLAS takes so long to compile, I could only try a new
build method about once a day.  The directions on scipy.org reference
older versions and are confusing.  They should be updated for the
current versions, including prerequisites.  The directions should
prominently note how to configure a site.cfg file prior to building
numpy, which is a prerequisite to building scipy.

Without the numpy site.cfg step, I was left searching and rebuilding
many, many times.  I tried different options to the BLAS and LAPACK
environment variables.  I even tried to build reference versions of
BLAS.  I was desperate.  The numpy build with a proper site.cfg was what
finally made things work for me.

Cheers.