[SciPy-User] benchmark timeseries for correlated data

Dan Lussier dtlussier at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 17:37:13 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am doing some basic statistical manipulation on time series data
(reading scalar from simulation code at regular interval).

However, adjacent samples (or even nearby samples) in my data is
likely to be somewhat correlated, due to the dynamics of the system
under study.

As a pragmatic approach to estimating a windowed mean and variance, I
am using an interative block-averaging apporach (Flyvbjerg and
Petersen. Error-Estimates on Averages of Correlated Data. Journal of
Chemical Physics (1989) vol. 91 (1) pp. 461-466).  This helps avoid
the need to explicitly calculate the correlation time.

I was wondering if anyone might have a good benchmark time series,
with known properties, that I might use to test my code? or
alternatively, point me in the direction of a source of this type of
benchmark data for timeseries/statistical work.

Many thanks,

Dan