[SciPy-User] interpolation with CloughTocher2DInterpolator

Evan Mason evanmason at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:06:33 EDT 2011

Hi, first I'd like to say thank you to the developers for the new
interpolation options in scipy 0.9.0 (griddata, CloughTocher2DInterpolator).

I have a question however about functionality.  Using matplotlib's delaunay
I can do:

tri = delaunay.Triangulation(x, y)
zi  = tri.nn_interpolator(z)

Once I have computed 'tri', I can then reuse it for successive
interpolations of a changing z.  This saves a lot of time as I
have sequences of z in the hundreds.

But this approach doesn't seem to be possible with
CloughTocher2DInterpolator, as every call needs x, y, z:

CloughTocher2DInterpolator(points, values, tol=1e-6)

My question is whether this functionality could be built into
future releases of CloughTocher2DInterpolator?

Thanks a lot,

Evan