[SciPy-User] Installation of SciPy 0.8.0 for Python 2.7 on MacOS 10.6

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 26 19:39:45 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Hans-Martin v. Gaudecker <
hmgaudecker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2010, at 08:13, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Which Python are you using? Setting "-arch x86_64" should only be done if
> > you use a home-built 64-bit capable Python or Apple Python, not for the
> > Python from python.org.
>
> Okay, I guess I thought that since python.org now provides a 64-bit
> version alongside the 32-bit one, this was the way to go when it failed
> without the flags...

Sorry, this was my autopilot response - x86_64 should work with Python from
python.org (but not ppc64).

> > Are you using numpy 1.5.0? If so, try deleting 'ppc64' from
> > distutils/fcompiler/gnu.py, that may fix the architecture errors. Also,
> > don't use "sudo" to install.
>
> Many thanks, I would not have been able to find that out myself... For the
> record, changing line 257 of that file from:
>
>        for arch in ["ppc", "i686", "x86_64", "ppc64"]:
>
> to:
>
>        for arch in ["i686", "x86_64"]:
>
> did the job for me, together with the standard "python setup.py install".

Hmm, I'm afraid I introduced this problem myself when trying to fix
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1399. Will try to fix this properly
asap.

> All tests pass:

> Ran 4405 tests in 54.433s
>
> OK (KNOWNFAIL=19, SKIP=39)
> <nose.result.TextTestResult run=4405 errors=0 failures=0>
>

> If anybody is interested: I could not get it to work using numscons. On the
> MacBook Pro, the "Exception: Could not find F77 BLAS, needed for integrate
> package:" error showed up again. On the Mac Pro, it compiled, but the
> architecture error creeped back up.

Numscons with 2.7 on OS X has not been properly tested yet, this should be
fixed before the next release as well.

Cheers,
Ralf