[SciPy-User] format for chunked file save and read ?

Jason Rennie jrennie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:30:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't like pickles much for anything that needs to be stored for
> more than 5 minutes, because several times I wasn't able to read them
> anymore after some version or code changes.

The only not-particularly-well-documented issue I've run into with pickle
(after using it in a production system where we've gone through a number of
"upgrades") is that classes defined at the point of "dump" must still be
defined at the point of "load".  Also, whether the class is old-style or
new-style (object) must not change.  We have an upgrade infrastructure with
version numbers and upgrade functions to lessen the chance that we do
something silly.  At least, one must be careful in changing code of classes
which are pickled.

Cheers,

Jason

--