[SciPy-User] Field Liner Tracing

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Oct 30 03:54:07 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 01:43:11PM -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Unfortunately I can't use for my specific problem. My field lines go
> around in a circle, and I need to draw a Poincare plot (i.e., plot a
> point at the r, z coordinates whenever the trajectory crosses a fixed
> angle Phi). And in addition to that, I need to do some computations on
> the trajectories, so a purely graphical output would solve only part of
> the problem.

> Is there anything else I could try?

I would personnally go for the ODE integrator in scipy, unless I want
something really efficient and that does the interpolation of the vector
field right, in which case I would dig in to reuse the Runge-Kutta engine
behind the Mayavi function that I linked to. Unfortunately, it is in VTK,
so using it requires quite a lot of work.

Gaël