[SciPy-User] Eigenvectors of sparse symmetric matrix

Hao Xiong hao at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Oct 26 00:26:17 EDT 2010

Hi Lutz,

I think our problems are related but with different symptoms.

First, changing to float32 did not help; I got the same errors.

Second, changing tolerance to 1e-4, 1e-5, 1e-15, all quash warning but
do not solve the problem: all zero eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

I have uploaded a 100x100 symmetric matrix at
http://www.epibiostat.ucsf.edu/biostat/XiongH/sym_sp.zip
On my machine, eigen_symmetric(A,3, which='SM', maxiter=10000)
results in all zero eigenvalues and eigenvectors, if A is the uploaded
matrix read using mmread.

However, converting it to dense and calling np.linalg.eig results in
correct answer.
One way to check this is that the eigenvector corresponding to the least
eigenvalue, which should be 0, is a multiple of a vector of 1's.

I am wondering if a sensible starting value is needed. Iterative methods
often need a reasonable starting value.

Best,
Hao