[SciPy-User] scipy.sparse.linalg.cg statistics?

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:42:10 EDT 2010

Hello again!

>    def callback(xk):
>        residuals.append(M*xk - b)

This approach works nicely from a code-beautification point of view,
thanks again for the hint.
There's a major drawback, though, which may not be easily fixed: To
calculate the residual, one has to compute an extra matrix-vector
multiplication *per step*, which effectively increases the runtime of
the CG algorithm by a factor of two (!). Ideally -- and classically --
the residual is retrieved directly from the CG method itself.
Now obviously, the callback method does not provide for residual
vector input, but I'm not quite sure what's the reason for that. In
the numerical computation world, this would be considered a major
deficiency.

Cheers,
Nico