[SciPy-User] ide for numpy?

Peter Tittmann ptittmann at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:16:43 EDT 2010

I've just switched from emacs to spyder and am quite happy with it.
Its a bit easier for a newbie to access documentation and explore
methods with the live object browser. I've also experimented with
PyDev for eclipse which is nice as well but eclipse is really made for
java. The spyder option to run in Ipython or standard python
interpreter is nice and the latest version can run a terminal shell as
well as multiple python/ipython buffers. Its not completely bug free
(tab completion stops working sort of randomly) but its not buggy in
ways that matter.

Good luck!

Peter

On 10/8/10, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yosef Meller wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My research uses numpy, scipy, and pyublas for interface to c++ code.
>>> Now the research phase is ending, and a real project is beginning.  That
>>> means delivering code to other engineers (in other groups).
>>>
>>> Convincing them to accept code in this form is going to be an uphill
>>> battle. I'm sure they'd accept matlab code, only because many (recent)
>>> engineers have some familiarity with it.  I do all my development with
>>> emacs, but that's not to everyone's liking.  I think an attraction of
>>> matlab is a decent development environment, things like: click on the
>>> name of a vector in a gui to plot it.
>>>
>>> Is there anything I should look at that might offer an IDE for numpy?
>>
>> Not saying anything about Spyder, as I need to try it myself. About
>> the delivery - is it only for people to run, or also to edit the code?
>> If they're just users, It might be less uphill to create a quick PyQt
>> GUI to you code's main features and let them use that. If you wrap it
>> with PyInstaller, they'll never know.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Yosef.
>
> Not just users, I need development group to take ownership of the code.

Sent from my mobile device