[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:15:05 EST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On 11/28/10 3:59 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:
>> My guess is that the licensing discussion contributed to that - it got
>> a bit tense and wasn't very enjoyable.
>
> you'd think people enjoy the licensing debates -- there sure are a lot
> of them!

It's a mystery of human behavior that we are sometimes drawn to
pointless dispute :) [1]

> Anyway, I _think_ we sort-of converged on using the Creative Commons CC0
> (more-or-less public domain):
>
> http://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/
>
> Though I think it's open as to whether to optionally allow contributors
> to choose another license.

I think we went off track round about the time I half-jokingly
suggested red bars either side of a GPL snippet.  So, at the risk of
exciting further heat, and in the interests of peace and good will,
would this be a reasonable summary?:

Default is some very permissive thing such as CC0 or BSD or MIT
Other options allowed, list as for Python cookbook
The person who builds the thing can choose freely whether to put a
subtle or unsubtle or no warning on GPL snippets.

See you,

Matthew

[1] http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2010/09/fork-it/