[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 13:09:01 EST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<dagss at student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 06:11 PM, Keith Goodman wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
>> <dagss at student.matnat.uio.no>  wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/23/2010 10:17 PM, Keith Goodman wrote:
>>>

>>> This feels like the kind of functionality that, once it is there, people
>>> might start to take for granted. In those cases I think finding a boring
>>> name is proper :-)
>>>
>>> So how about something boring under the scikits namespace.
>>> scikits.datautils, scikits.arraystats, ...
>>>
>>> If one wants to be cute, perhaps "scikits.missing", for functions that
>>> deal well with missing data (unless I misunderstand, I don't use NaN
>>> much myself).
>>>
>>> I guess "Missing" by itself would be rather un-Googlable :-)
>>>
>> Cython is great. It is amazing how quickly (coding time and cpu time)
>> someone with no experience (me) can get code running. Thanks for all
>> your work.
>>

> :-)
>
> Well, there's a couple of obvious warts, like the lack of templates, and
> the difficulty of doing programming in N arbitrary dimensions. If I had
> a lot of time and/or money...

Is there anything we can do to find you time and / or money?  Seriously.

> For the time being, for something like this I'd definitely go with a
> template language to generate Cython code if you are not already. Myself
> (for SciPy on .NET/fwrap refactor) I'm using Tempita with a pyx.in
> extension and it works pretty well. Using Bento one can probably chain
> Tempita so that this gets built automatically (but I haven't tried that
> yet).

Thanks for the update - it's excellent news that you are working on
this.  If you ever have spare time, would you consider writing up your
experiences in a blog post or similar?  I'm sure it would be very
useful for the rest of us who have idly thought we'd like to do this,
and then started waiting for someone with more expertise to do it...

See you,

Matthew