[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Wed Nov 24 12:30:44 EST 2010

On 11/24/2010 06:11 PM, Keith Goodman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <dagss at student.matnat.uio.no>  wrote:
>
>> On 11/23/2010 10:17 PM, Keith Goodman wrote:
>>

>> This feels like the kind of functionality that, once it is there, people
>> might start to take for granted. In those cases I think finding a boring
>> name is proper :-)
>>
>> So how about something boring under the scikits namespace.
>> scikits.datautils, scikits.arraystats, ...
>>
>> If one wants to be cute, perhaps "scikits.missing", for functions that
>> deal well with missing data (unless I misunderstand, I don't use NaN
>> much myself).
>>
>> I guess "Missing" by itself would be rather un-Googlable :-)
>>
> Cython is great. It is amazing how quickly (coding time and cpu time)
> someone with no experience (me) can get code running. Thanks for all
> your work.

:-)

Well, there's a couple of obvious warts, like the lack of templates, and
the difficulty of doing programming in N arbitrary dimensions. If I had
a lot of time and/or money...

For the time being, for something like this I'd definitely go with a
template language to generate Cython code if you are not already. Myself
(for SciPy on .NET/fwrap refactor) I'm using Tempita with a pyx.in
extension and it works pretty well. Using Bento one can probably chain
Tempita so that this gets built automatically (but I haven't tried that
yet).

Dag Sverre