[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Wed Nov 24 12:24:50 EST 2010

On 11/24/2010 12:54 PM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <dagss at student.matnat.uio.no>  wrote:

>>> I couldn't come up with anything. I actually named the project STAT
>>> but then couldn't import ipython because python has a stat module.
>>> Ugh. I'd like a better name so I am open to suggestions. Even an
>>> unrelated word would be good, you know, like Maple.
>>>

>> This feels like the kind of functionality that, once it is there, people
>> might start to take for granted. In those cases I think finding a boring
>> name is proper :-)
>>
>> So how about something boring under the scikits namespace.
>> scikits.datautils, scikits.arraystats, ...
>>
>> If one wants to be cute, perhaps "scikits.missing", for functions that
>> deal well with missing data (unless I misunderstand, I don't use NaN
>> much myself).
>>
>> I guess "Missing" by itself would be rather un-Googlable :-)
>>
> I think having a good name for search engines makes a name more practical
> (compare a search for statsmodels with a search for pandas or larry)

Well, this is where the scikits prefix helps. "sparse" is a rather
common word, but "scikits.sparse" is very easily Googleable. In the end,
I prefer "scikits.boring" to having to learn a lot of exotic nouns :-)

+, if you talk with somebody at a conference and can't remember the
name, it's a lot easier to say "oh, there's a scikit for that" (which
you'd usually remember), than "that's easily solved by this
project...hmm..Bamboo?...was that it? Do some Googling on nan and Python
and statistics and you'll find it..."

Dag Sverre